Location: Downtown Belleville
Budget: $34.5 million (all phases)
Timeline (Construction): Phase 1 – Completed in 2015, Phase 2 – Completed in 2016 Phase 3 – 2017 -2018 (see below)
Work was completed in 2012 to establish an Intensification Plan for the City Centre as a follow-up to the 2006 Downtown Master Plan. In order to implement this Intensification Plan it is necessary to upgrade the existing municipal services within the downtown core to provide the needed servicing capacity to accommodate the new development and growth envisioned by the Intensification Plan and replace aged infrastructure.
The City Centre Revitalization and Redevelopment (CCRR) Project is a multi-year municipal services and streetscape project that will reconstruct Front Street and a number of adjacent side streets in Belleville’s Downtown.
Underground infrastructure work will include:
- Removal and replacement of watermains
- Relining of sanitary sewers
- Replacement of sanitary sewers
- Replacement of storm sewers
- Installation of new utilities
Surface work will include:
- Reconstruction of roads, boulevards, and sidewalks, including new asphalt, concrete and clay brick pavements;
- Installation of new urban design and landscape elements including new street lights and traffic signals, street furniture, granite-curb planters, and street trees.
The initial design was completed by the architectural firm of Office for Responsive Environments (ORE), in partnership with the engineering firm of LEA Consulting Ltd.
The initial tender process took place in the summer of 2014, which resulted in bids exceeding the allotted budget. As a result, the tender was cancelled and the consultants and City staff conducted a review of the design and contract approach to identify potential sources of cost savings. A new approach and design changes were developed and adopted in December of 2014 and work has proceeded in accordance with the new plan, which included separating the project into three phases (contracts) to be completed, as follows:.
Phase 1 of the project, which was completed in 2015, includes approximately 130 metres of Station Street, from Church Street to Pinnacle Street, and 390 metres of Front Street, from Pinnacle Street to Victoria Avenue.
Phase 2 of the project, which was completed in 2016, includes Front Street from Victoria Avenue to Bridge Street, including portions of Victoria Avenue and Campbell Street between Front Street and Pinnacle Street.
Phase 3 of the project, to be started in 2017, includes Front Street from Bridge Street to Dundas Street, including portions of Bridge Street, Market Street and Macannany Street between Front Street and Pinnacle Street. It is proposed to complete Phase 3 over two years (2017/2018) as follows:
• Phase 3A will start in late June 2017 and be completed in late November 2017. This Phase will involve work on Bridge Street East from Pinnacle Street to the Moira river, and Front Street within the Bridge/Front intersection . Road closures will be in effect.
• Phase 3B will start in early spring 2018. This Phase will include work on Market St., McAnnany St. and Front Street (between Bridge St. and Dundas St.).